Becoming a Big Brother or Big Sister is designed to build a match based on shared interests, personality and your volunteer preferences.
Here are the quick and easy steps we'll walk you through:
- Inquire today to speak with a staff person at Big Brothers Big Sisters. (phone: 701 222-0797 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Ready to take the next step right now? Complete the online application. This will help speed up the process. Alternatively, after you inquire online, the Manager of Customer Relations will contact you by email to complete the application offline.
- Once you get your paper application into the office, you will be scheduled for an Orientation session to learn more about the program.
- A Enrollment and Match Specialist will interview you in person at your home.
- Child safety is our priority, so we'll review your records to ensure you'll be a good fit for our program.
- You'll need to provide at least three references of people we can talk to about your ability to be a mentor.
- We will review the kids in your area who need a Big Brother or Big Sister and find the best fit for you. Depending on your gender, your location and the kind of child you'd like to work with, matching may go very quickly or take some time. Making the right match is important to our commitment to form lasting relationships.
Once matched, Big Brothers and Big Sisters develop friendships with their Little Brothers and Little Sisters. Whether playing a computer game or simply hanging out - you bring magic into the life of a child. It's that simple.
meet in schools for just one hour each week during the day. They do projects together, read in the library, eat lunch, shoot hoops and more.
are flexible and will fit your busy schedule. Bigs and Littles hang out in the community and go to museums, sports events, movies, and more. It's up to you and your Little!
When you're part of something Big, you're not alone. Each match is supported by professional staff at your local Big Brothers Big Sisters agency. Match support specialists regularly check in with volunteers, children, and parents, and are always available to answer questions.
Regular events are held in your community, giving you an opportunity to meet other Bigs and Littles in your area. Plus, through the generosity of our partners and individuals in your community, there are often free tickets to ball games, the theater, and more!